Lugging my Bronica up England’s highest peak at least was worth it for this one shot. It was an overcast and foggy day, but I like the way the film has captured the texture and tone of the mountainside here. Unfortunately I only have two shots left from this trip due to an error in development.
In an effort to reduce my costs while shooting more film I’ve started to home process black and white film once more. During my Imperial College days I learnt the basics in the excellent darkroom the photo society had there and then continued with a makeshift bathroom in my flat after graduating. I never really got back into it when I moved abroad and I’d stopped using monochrome films so much because to get a roll processed at my normal labs in London were over a tenner each; this soon adds up and also was making me hesitate before each shot when really I should be experimenting with photography more.
Anyway, the error. This was the first 120 film I had self developed in at least 4 years. Whereas before I had a nice dark bathroom to use, my current flat does not, so I am having to use a changing bag for the first time. Its pretty much a pain in the arse and seems especially so when loading 120 film onto the plastic patterson reels I have. I completely butchered this film. When the roll went stiff I didn’t realise the film had got so jammed that it crumpled and ripped. Trying to keep my frustration at bay I decided the rip was too bad to continue winding it on so cut my losses (literally). I couldn’t actually remember what was on this film so at the time I wasn’t too bothered, it was collateral damage in reacquainting myself with self processing.
The remaining shots came out well but I was pretty gutted to realise this was my Scafell Pike roll. Oh well, I guess I’ll have to go and lug my Bronica up there again sometime!